Pages

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Wedding Cake 101: Introduction

Wedding Cake 101:

So You Want to Make a Wedding Cake...

 


I would just like to take a moment to acknowledge that about a month ago, this happened:
 
 
And this:
 
 
And this, too!
 
About two months ago, I was "voluntold"/asked to make a cake for an acquaintance.  I think the only reason she asked is because her family member who had agreed to make her cake backed out and she knew that I like to cook. But cooking a great dinner and single-handedly creating a wedding cake to feed 150 people are a little different. Now, I know that these cakes are far from perfect, but the reason I want to bring attention to them is because I AM NOT A BAKER... nor am I a cake decorator... and I rarely even eat cake!  But, the important part is that if I can do this, so can you!
 
And why would you want to be able to make a wedding cake?  Well, for starters, to purchase the baking and decorating supplies for these cakes, it cost right around $250... which is insanely cheap for a semi-professional cake along with 3 dozen gluten-free cupcakes. Every bride deserves a great wedding cake, regardless of their budget.  Whether you make the cake for yourself, a friend, or family member, it can definitely be a great option for many.  Plus, the pride associated with it is a wonderful plus!
 
I spent a lot of time researching the best methods for creating the cake... from frosting to construction. There is tons of information out there available to you, and many of them may be better than my suggestions because, again, I am by no means a professional.  I encourage you to do your research before you take on the endeavor.  Being prepared is the only thing that got me through and helped everything turn out as well as it did. 
 
One of the problems I experienced was that while the information is available, you have to search it out and piece it all together. Unfortunately, most of it is not all sitting in one convenient location. So, to help the beginner cake makers out there, I will be posting on several different topics to guide you through your first cake:
 
- Necessary and helpful supplies
- How to accomplish an ombre frosting technique
- How to construct the cake
- How to make simple gumpaste flowers
 
Check back soon for more in this series!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment